Friday, June 12, 2009

Dependable Don

even though the weather was crappy this morning (dark and overcast), i decided to go to the flea market anyway. there wasn't too many vendors, as expected, but i did, surprisingly, find some cool things. there is this one vendor, Don (and he really does call his business "dependable don". well don is a bit on the cranky/crotchety side. he's always yelling, or in a fowl mood. he's always accusing someone of ripping him off, etc. well, today i saw in the ramp of his trailer a bunch of cookie sheets. i was looking to get some for the soldering classes i am teaching. his "assistant" said they were scrap metal, but that he would ask don. don, said, sure, we could take the cookie sheets. well, jeff found a few more buried under some other stuff, so he grabbed them . but then Don, starts his yelling over at us about, "don't be taking this or that and going thru all my stuff, blah blah blah and how we 'd better be willing to pay". so i "yelled", you said we could have the cookie sheets. he continues on about how that scrap metal is putting his kids thru college, etc. (blah blah blah). so i got a little snarky with him and said, "well, you know, i don't want to be taking from your kids education, so i'll be happy to throw these back in the heap for ya". Oh, no he says, it's fine, etc. then charges me a dollar! i'm still trying to figure out why he was yelling in the first place if he only charged me a dollar! (for 5 cookie sheets and some jello molds). go figure! anyway, that's my colorful flea market story for the week.
-----------------------------------------------------------
here is one of my cool finds today. an old industrial metal storage container. the thing is huge and holds so much stuff. it was $20





each drawer has 3 sections - nice!
----------------------------------------------------


i have a few of these oriental dolls, including my original one from a visit to Hong Kong when i was about 11. the couple came together and what's even better, is that the lady came with a wardrobe!










----------------------------------------------------------------



bought these vintage metal game boards. thought i'd do some creative with them.
---------------------------------------------------------------


some little people! i've got some fun ideas for these guys
-------------------------------------------------------



and then i got this manikin in Ocean Grove a few weeks ago, but bought 2 of these little oriental umbrellas today (hmm, just noticed the Asian theme with my purchases today. interesting!)
-----------------------------------------

tomorrow morning i am going to the Allaire State Park flea market. they have them several times over the summer. haven't been to this one in awhile. the park is really pretty too, so that makes it fun. after the flea market, i am off to get my hair colored. i'm going with something a little more dramatic, as this last color i had done is a bit on the drab/boring side to me. and yes, i'll post pics!

10 comments:

  1. I love the metal drawers and my uncle brought home one of those dolls after he fought in Korea....I had it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love those metal drawers...ahhh you better watch out when you have your class you might be less a metal drawer cabinet...hehehe...LOL...I too have an oriental theme going on lately..the dolls are awesome and the outfits are out of this world too cool...thanks for sharing...have a honey of a night - sweet dreams! Marlene :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! And the Don story is too funny. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kecia, you always find the coolest stuff! I love the cabinet with the drawers!

    I will post pictures tomorrow of my Farm Chicks stuff so stay tuned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to shop where YOU shop! Those metal drawers are great! I found a small apothecary cabinet at a primitive store that was going out of business. I LOVE it!

    - Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a find! Love the metal storage drawers...$20 bucks...great! I see you immediately put them to work!

    Lezlei

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don sounds like a real "pickle"!! Too funny story! And if you never a tired of the metal drawers, they would have a lovely home in my studio...get snag! Can't wait to see the "new" you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are my new bff....I love your stuff and laughed so hard and showed my dh another of my kinda people...just when you think you are alone you meet another person who loves all the same things. Where more is always better and a girl can never have too much stuff. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted you to know I have featured you on my blog. Pop over and take a look...Thanks. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I LOVE that storage container ! What a find, I'm jealous :P You no doubt will have no prob. filling it up lol !

    And I use to have some of those little people too, I may still have them somewhere, used to come with a Little People playhouse.
    When I was little, I used to keep the mom, dad, child and dog always together and in a safe place. They represented my family & if one ever was 'out of place' ( maybe in another part of the room ), then I'd feel scared, like some spirit would take that person away in real life. I've always had these weird things about me.

    Love the hair color too :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!