Sunday, June 29, 2008

Manasquan Reservoir

So this morning i got up early (to beat the heat and people) and headed over to Manasquan reservoir to see what i could see. i first went over to an area called the "visitors center". there you can rent kayaks, canoes, launch your boat or jump on one of the many bike/walking trails. i was a little under prepared, as it was already quite hot, i forgot my hat and i was wearing flip flops. i wish i had brought my bike since it is a 5 mile loop to cover the reservoir! i bought a bottle of water, drenched my bandana which i put over my hair and started walking. it was a nice walk although i didn't go too far before i turned around. there was no way i would make the 5 miles! plus the trail was taking me way around the water into wooded areas and i wanted to see birds around the water (herons, egrets, etc.) so after taking the photos i wanted i returned to my car and then drove over to another area where the enviromental center is. it was very quiet over there, which was nice. most of the joggers, bikers and walkers were over on the other side. i took a trail that led behind the center had a myself a nice little walk.


















----------------------------------------------------------------
the best i saved for last! i had no idea i would stumble across a bald eagle's nest with 3 eaglets! can you imagine my surprise? i was the only one out there and i felt like i had made the discovery of the century. i was on a trail when i saw it and managed to make my way down this craggy, rotting log, while wearing flip flops. i walked some other logs to this little tiny patch of sand/rocks and then just sat and watched in amazement at what i was getting to see so close up and uninteruppted. the dad was sitting on a branch above the nest. my mom would call this a "God treat".



8 comments:

  1. Kecia your pictures are just breathtaking,so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos and such a terrific use of an early summer morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spectacular series of pictures, Kecia!!! GREAT eye! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for emailing me the eagle pic -- I'm so glad you got close enough to snap the shot. I haven't been out this year to look for the nest.

    Loved seeing the rest of the shots from your walk. I love it in the fall when it's cool and you can walk in the woods and see all sorts of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us with you on your walk! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You continually take the MOST incredible pictures! I'm stunned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhhhhh, yes - a god treat, for sure - especially if you experience it alone, and get a bird's eye view of an eagle's nest alone! your angels were calling you -

    the whole story and pictures is my version of prayer!

    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. your photos are great!!
    i especially loved the one of the carving on the tree - that was so sweet!!
    xoxo, jan

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!