Monday, August 13, 2007

A zine questionnaire i answered

Recently someone sent out a call for artists to answer some questions for a zine she was publishing. here is the question i answered. It is such a reflection of who i am that i felt the need to share it.


1. Some artists say they do their art because they
must; especially at times of transition and stress,
finding comfort and a sort of grounding in art
making. Have you found this to be true in your life?

I have always done some sort of art ever since i was a little girl. I've never had any formal training, it is all things that i have taught myself. It is only recently that i have begun taking classes, in altered arts. i like the "unstructuredness" of it all. there aren't many rules and you can insert your own creativity as you go along.

I feel the need to be constantly creating. i've been like that forever. There is something satisfying about creating something and in turn, giving it as a gift or even selling it. It is an amazing compliment when people want to buy my things. I think without the "formalized" training, it is hard to think of myself as artist; so the act of them wanting to buy my work makes me feel great!

I feel very grounded when i am creating. If i go for a few hours without working on something, i actually feel a little edgy. My art is a stress reliever. I have an older son who is severely disabled; a result of medical malpractice. He was born healthy and normal. He was the sweetest little baby and gave me so much joy. all that changed when he suffered a brain injury at 16 months old. He is now 17 years old. So i have poured my grief, sadness, stress, sorrow, pain, etc. into art. The experience left me with a broken heart and a never ending well of grief. The void has to be filled somewhere. That emptiness needs to be addressed - so i create.

I can literally spend hours creating. I lose myself and time when i am in my studio. it is my own little world. It helps me feel whole again.

kecia deveney
Wall, NJ

3 comments:

  1. You have trained yourself better than any formal education could provide. And, your self knowledge about where your art and creativity come from shows an awareness that few have.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good answer! I think of art as my saving grace, a gift from God to get me through many tough times in my life...sounds like you do too! My heart breaks as I read about your son, how tragic to have that happen. I hope and pray that he brings joy and richness to your life, he certainly does to your art. Thanks so much for sharing your answer and have a ball at the classes!!!-Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of you right now, Kecia. This response is so eloquently articulated and so beautiful, uplifting, and heartbreaking all at the same time. Thank you for sharing this with us. You truly are one of those people who are as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside.

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!