Monday, July 21, 2008




well, we had our show yesterday. it was held in Long Beach Island, about an hour from here. i've only been there once, but it is really cute down there. i'd like to check it out again when i have the time. the show, unfortunately, wasn't all that great. it was quite small and i didn't feel like there were alot of people there ( sign of the economy, lack of advertising, ?) the vibe was off to me, even with the other vendors. not much of a friendly atmosphere as opposed to other shows i've done (except for a sweet girl, Natalie). kind of an older crowd and although everyone thought my stuff was lovely and beautiful, not many purchases were made. it seemed like i sold mostly jewelry,which is good. it makes me think i should stop doing mixed media things altogether and just make jewerly. jewerly is definitely lighter and easier to set up as a vendor and you don't need as much space. i find the whole art festival circuit frustrating because they are so much work and often times, in the end, the work doesn't match the profit. if i was having to rely on this as my income, i'd definitely be starving! my husband says it's all about the experience, but after 4 years of this, i think i am experienced enough! the other thing about the show was that it was extremely windy! another factor to consider about these venues that are held outside is the weather conditions. the wind got so bad that people using tents had to hold onto them. things were blowing over, etc. my stuff was okay and maybe because i had a wall behind me. but it finally got so bad, we packed up about an 1 1/2 early. the ride home (on the parkway) was horrible due to all the bennies going home. A "bennie" is basically a tourist and is someone who drives to the beach every weekend. i don't know how they stand it because it was bumper to bumper (maybe getting up to 20mph once in awhile). they have to endure the traffic coming down this way on friday and then do it again to go home on sundays. no thank you~! we had taken two cars, so i called my husband and told him i was getting off the parkway, finding a bathroom, eating and going home another route. i was so exhausted when i got home, i was in bed by 7:30! and i am still exhausted this morning.

6 comments:

  1. Don't fret, my friend Kecia - creating is about you, not the consumer!!! I'm forwarding a post I received this morning. I loved it, and it certainly gives you perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how people do those outdoor shows year after year. It really is backbreaking work, and often for very little return. When I had my Rueschka business, I got out of the outdoor shows as soon as I could,(sitting in the sun in 100 degree weather at the Rose Bowl gets old FAST) and was fortunate to find a few nice, reliable indoor ones that I could do over and over. Still hard work, which I could/would never do again, but at least stuff sold. Kudos to you for doing it at all! Your booth looked lovely, and we know your creations are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kecia - what a string of adventures you have had in the past week. I'm just getting back and caught up from a week's beach vacation. I'm sorry to hear about the turn out of your show but also know that your display is incredibly inspiring. I really don't think you have any lack of experience at all - was probably just a crummy show with crummy weather.
    I'm getting ready for show this weekend - a big indoor/outdoor event and I have an indoor spot. I've got some new art prints I'm working on and realized just now - as in 4 days prior to the show - that I have NO idea how to display them. You've inspired me that no matter what I can make it look super great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it wasn't wonderful. About 57 years ago, I learned to swim at Long Beach Island (small world, huh?).

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember hearing about Long Beach Island when I lived in NJ. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to do the show thing. I think it is getting harder each year with the economy being what it is. It is a tough way to make money.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!