Monday, August 2, 2010

SlipperySlopeBloomer

I found this wonderful seller on etsy. her name is Jess and she's the creator of SlipperySlopeBloomer. i chatted with her briefly today about her beautifully colored pictures (done with Sharpies!) that she draws on vintage lingerie (she likes to call them "dainties"). She also makes high waisted bikinis (vintage style) which are very fun and flirty.


I'd wear this corset with a tank underneath and a pair of jeans (if my wallet allowed, that is....)



and i could also see myself wearing this!






What really impressed me about Jess was her attitude about recyling/upcycling using vintage items, found objects or junk. read more:

"There has been a growing trend in the crafting community these past few years to work in a medium made up exclusively of found objects and junk, and I am so very happy about and proud of this trend. It is made up of a small but growing faction of folks who have chosen to pay their bills by producing items to be consumed but have managed to do so with out adding to the pile of mass made-for-consumption THINGS our culture insists in churning out at a progressively disconcerting rate year after year.
They are people who have some how developed the strength of character and responsibility in the face of this terribly seductive but devastatingly wasteful culture we've got here to ask the question, "Hey! Is this really trash yet? Come on!"
And what's more, when these thrifty crafters ask their customers with playful incredulity if the trash is in fact trash, their customers find themselves replying in awe, "why no... NO IT'S NOT!" and a new world of recycled wonder appears before their eyes.
In the etsy land there are a very great deal of customers. With each new creative use of heretofore trash that is displayed, there are countless more of us out here realizing that spending might not actually be better than mending. We buy the brilliantly repurposed crafts we find, but we also are inspired to build our own brilliantly repurposed goodies. And slowly but surely, the world is changing. And things built to last but none the less abandoned are getting sparkly new lives and contributing once again to joy instead of clutter."

So there you have it. She does not have a blog (as of yet, i'm trying to talk her into it!) She's a wonderful writer and story teller, so maybe when she's ready, she'll start one! in the meantime, stop by her shoppe to look a peek at her work.

3 comments:

  1. She is so right about this trend that is going on. I am one of them. I would not have shopped at the good will or garage sales a while back ago... I was to busy at Macy's. Now I cant get enough and love redoing and refurbishing things... thanks! I will check out her sit.

    I came by your blog to introduce myself. My name is Sherry and I am a new Bloggerette Sorority Sister. I have only been blogging for 3 weeks so I missed the rush, but I look forward in joining in on the events to come. I would be honored if you came by for a visit at http://scrappingwithsherry1.blogspot.com/ Hope to see you there!

    Take Care~ Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yes! You have discovered amazing beautiful too stunning to wear, wearable art! I'm thrilled that I stumbled upon your blog to find what amazing taste you have :) I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a lovely review, it makes me feel special and also I am blushing. I wish the best good luck to you in every thing you do.
    -jess

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!