Monday, May 31, 2010

nature gift

today we learned a few things about nature. dillon and his friends were out back in the quarry area when they happened upon a tiny baby deer. they called us on their cell phone to say they had found an abandoned baby deer. jeff went back there to see what was going on. next thing i know, they are all headed back with the baby. i quickly set up a little crib and put the dogs in the back bedroom. i wasn't expecting such a wee little baby! i ask the boys some questions about the scene to get an idea of what was going on.

after i get the baby settled, i have the boys go on the internet to read up on taking care of a baby deer and also i make some phone calls to animal control (closed, it's a holiday) and then i have my neighbor come over. her good friend works for a vet, so she calls the friend for advice. we end up with a rehabilitators number, so i give her a call. not the friendliest lady and she proceeds to chew me out and says, the baby hasn't been abandoned and that the mom will come back for it. she goes on to lecture me about how they should have left it, blah, blah, blah. yeah, i get that- but i'm only dealing with the present, not what they did- so give up the tirade and tell me what i should do. she gives me another phone number to call. i call them and she says to take the baby back to the spot where we found it. apparently momma deers leave their babes in a spot that they pick out and come back for them later in the evening. if the baby doesn't look sickly, then this is probably the case. So the boys take baby back to where they found her.

an hour later, me and dill quietly walked back there to make sure baby isn't wandering. baby is still in the same spot, sleeping and being quiet like she is suppose to. this is good. i scout ahead to look around and spy a doe in the field. she is watching me. i feel confident that i have seen momma and feel better. we will check on baby again in the morning to see if mom has come for her or not.

i totally understand their position. i 'm sure they have to deal with these "good intentions" all the time. the boys did what they thought was the right thing; especially given that it was thundering and lightening. hard to just walk away from something so vulnerable.












update: momma did indeed come back for her baby. i went to check on them this morning and the only thing i saw was the crushed grass from where baby was laying in the meadow. a happy ending.....

13 comments:

  1. What a darling little baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww.. how precious. anyone would wonder if something had happened to the mother. the rehabers deal with this kind of thing all the time, they know.. we dont. Oh well.. I hope mama took care of her baby and everyone learned a lesson. How stinking cute it is!
    happy memorial day!
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaawwwww - look at that face! Glad you took it back and made sure momma was there, though. Hares also leave their offspring alone in the fields and go back to nurse them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing?! I once found myself in the care of a little one, and I was amazed a how calm they are and that those spots are bumped-up. I had no idea. Too cute, I'm glad your had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, too sweet, aren't they. I love happy endings! Hugs, Riki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kecia, I feel your pain! We found a baby bird (it fell out of it's very high nest) in the middle of our back yard. I took it in so the dogs or raccoons or posseums wouldn't eat it. When I asked around I was pretty much told the same as you--so I put it behind some bushes and prayed other it that nothing would eat it!! I checked several times that day and it was gone in the morning--momma had returned! Whew!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a darling little baby! The boys did what they thought was right...so glad the story had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The baby deer is so cute. I was touched by your kindness. I am so glad nothing happened to the baby deer and that she was with her mom safely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last photo of the fawn is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Leslie!..great post, Love your pics!That last pic is precious!...Thanks for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a story!!! I am so glad it had a happy ending. What an adorable baby indeed. The boys and all of you did what any caring person would do. Wow.. what a memory to keep forever. Thanks for sharing Sweetie.
    Hugs,
    holly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just precious!! I loved this story-how sweet the baby is.
    I hope Tuck is feeling better soon :)
    Hugs,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! what a gorgeous little creature!!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!