Friday, May 28, 2010

100 strangers




i was catching up on some blog reading in the last few days (tucker's sick and i find i cannot create when he is ill; so i use my time in other ways; such as blog reading!) i was reading up on my friend, Kelly Snelling's blog and i read a post she did on a photo project called "100 strangers". It sounded so intriguing to me that i headed right over to the website and then checked out their flickr page. I think i will join in. the idea is to take photographs of strangers and then post them. but you have to ask their permission first (no candid shots) and then double check if it is okay to post their picture on flickr.

i always have my camera with me and i'm not shy about speaking with strangers. as a matter of fact, i enjoy striking up conversations with strangers. so i think i will quite enjoy this.

the picture of this lady is a perfect example of 100 strangers. unofficially i will count this as my first photo. i took it last summer at the flea market. i noticed this woman walking around and was just fascinated with her outfit and of course, i just loved the pin she was wearing - it said "I (heart) flea markets" . so i started speaking with her and she told me that she loves to dress up and go to the flea market (now my friend, abbie, got another story out of her, where she told abbie she loves to dress this way for her man!) so anyway, after speaking with her for a few minutes, i asked her if i could take her photo. so as i start getting my shots, i'll post them on my blog.

9 comments:

  1. that's Michelle! I love her! She's always so festive, reminds me of someone I used to know that was very dear to me. She's awesome! And yes, she said she dresses like this for her man...he likes it and it "keeps the bitches away" hahah I'm all for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic fun! This photo is wonderful...I want to dress up and go flea-marketing with her! Can't wait to see more - aren't people intriguing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun story about the-not-so-much-a-stranger any longer :) And although I don't know Michelle, I can just hear her saying "keeps the bitches away"! LOL Can't wait to see your future "strangers"

    On another note, I'm sorry to hear that Tucker is sick. I will keep him in my prayers sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear Tucker doesn't feel well.......maybe it is just as well not to be caught out on the roads......traffic is terrible......I am opening a shop in Asbury Park and I am looking for guest artists......I am hoping you will be interested in this. I'll email some info when it is more firm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I wanted to do something like this way back when i was in college and taking a lot of photography courses...before the days of flickr! I am going to seriously consider it now...thanks for sharing, xo natalea

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun idea! everyone has a story to tell and is full of surprises. and who knows what friends you'll make and what you'll learn in the course of this project! oh and thanks for the music. now i'm going to have "The winner takes it all" in my head all day....
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny ... this lady is a "stranger" to us .. but we all "know" who she is!! I see her all the time ... Sounds like a fun project ... I'm going to have to check it out.

    hope tucker is doing better.

    xo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kecia I LOVE the 100 Strangers project! In fact my recent painting "The Stewardess" used a photo from Akwardboyhero as a reference (with his permission of course!) Very fun!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!