Friday, April 1, 2011

need some inspiration?



(photo by Austin Kleon)

Austin Kleon, author Newspaper Blackout, wrote a really great article on notes and drawing called

"HOW TO STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST (AND 9 OTHER THINGS NOBODY TOLD ME)".


It's long, but well worth the read! i really liked the section, "Fake it til you make it". I've long subscribe to the theory of confidence that if you act confident, you will feel confident and thus others will perceive you as confident! Feeling confident is 3/4 of the battle over low self esteem.

here's how he breaks down his story:


1) Steal like an artist
2) Don't wait until you know who you are to start making things.
3) Write the book you want to read
4) Use your hands
5) Side projects and hobbies are important
6) The secret: do good work, then put it where people can see it
7) Geography is no longer our master
8) Be nice. (the world is a small town.)
9) Be boring. (it's the only way to get any work done.)
10) Creativity is subtraction



(photo by Austin Kleon)

Also, i suggest making a blackout poem - so fun!

here' s what you do (courtesy of Austin Kleon):


How to make a Newspaper Blackout Poem:
Grab a newspaper.
Grab a marker.
Find an article.
Cross out words, leaving behind the ones you like.
Pretty soon you’ll have a poem.

my poem read like this:
Cool, brisk air pledges to dedicate making lives better.

--------------------------------------------------------


also i made a button out of my Grief painting from yesterday. you are welcome to take it for your blog if it is something that resonates with you. xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article...so much of it resonates with me -- I'm going to copy, paste and save...to remind myself from time to time....fake it until you make it!!!

    I love the idea of making a poem from blacking out -- that's so much fun and what you wrote??? That came from your soul!!!

    Wishing you and Tucker a good day -- hope he's feeling better and that the sun is shining in your little part of the world ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kecia,
    I loved reading that article! It makes so much sense and I found it inspiring. Thank you for sharing it. Im sending bright cheery thoughts to you and Tucker.
    Breana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kecia, Simply Debbie sent me your way! This is an amazing blog and I very glad I have come over. I hope you will have a moment to visit me too. I like the painting you did very much. There is so much inside I feel like I am learning to know you through your art. Blessings Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came via art is....this is a brilliant post and so much truth...now wnere's that newspaper!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave me a comment. always appreciated!

slide show!